Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-08 12:28:28
by lmbedore
I'm sorry to make this short, but I wrote about a 3 page thing and went to post it and the system timed out my login... frustrating.

The short and sweet is this - I think it's time for me to step down and stop running VectorStar Networks. When? Not quite immediately, September 30th is the planned date.

The dream I had of online dynamic communities bringing people together has been so well realized by other groups (myspace, facebook, livejournal, youtube, etc) that there hasn't really been anything left in my time/imagination/inspiration to put into the realm of online communities. I love bringing people together and I love helping and giving, but I've been doing so much giving for so long and not getting enough out of this endeavor to keep me motivated. It's been draining me for quite a few years and now it's time for me to stop and take care of myself.

VectorStar's spent most of its time as an open system based on open principles. There's a lot of know-how, instructions, integrations, lessons-learned, custom code, etc here. Years of blood, sweat and tears. If anyone wants to pick up VectorStar and run it, or would like to run a similar system and may want some of our code or build documentation or whatever, don't hesitate to email me. I might not get back to you immediately (my life is VERY odd right now) but I will try to respond as soon as I can.

Thank you for the friendships, memories, and inspiration you've all provided (whether you knew it or not) over the last 9 years of free hosting at VectorStar.

-Laird

Re: VectorStar may be closing 2007-08-08 19:49:16
by lmbedore
I have every intention of making as smooth and progressive a transition/shutdown as possible. Unless something major happens beyond my control, I will be providing all of you plenty of advance warning and notice prior to actual shutdown. It'll definitely be a month or longer till service stops.
Re: VectorStar may be closing 2007-08-08 23:28:10
by jonsnews
Bummer!

I've been hosting with you guys for a long time, and I have nothing but positive things to say about my time here.

I wish you the best of luck in the future, and I can totally understand where you're coming from with this decision.

Hopefully the future will find you many exciting projects and interesting things!

As an aside, once the day comes where things finally go bye-bye, will you be able to forward the sub domains to our new homes as we scatter to the wind?

Best of luck!!
Re: VectorStar may be closing 2007-08-08 23:29:38
by jonsnews
.. and.. Thank you for providing such a great service for all of these years. I never would have started my site without you guys!
Re: VectorStar may be closing 2007-08-09 04:38:27
by randz
Sad news.

What can I say, but, best of luck on any of your future endeavors.

Thank you for providing this service that I have been using for so long.

God bless you.

ps: to all who may wish to contact me in the future, kindly see me at my blog randz dot blogspot dot com.
Re: VectorStar may be closing 2007-08-10 05:42:43
by korek
I never took part in the community but I've been using Your hosting services for quite a few years now nad I will miss the domain terribly. Even no I'm still trying to log in to my new host through the vectorstar ftp. Thank You for all the hard work, it didn't go unappreciated.
Re: VectorStar may be closing 2007-08-10 08:30:38
by lmbedore
As far as the subdomains go, my plan is to let go of the vectorstar.net domain - If someone else wants to register it or take over the domain before it expires in November, I'll be happy to assist with the ownership transfer... but basically no, I personally don't plan on continuing the subdomain service in any way.

-Laird
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-13 14:10:16
by ellvis
well, i was using vectorstar.net silently for few years. as all things have to come to the end, i wish you good luck in anything you'll do from now. and big THANK YOU for such a great job you did with this place!
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-15 13:15:16
by darklighter
thanks for everything. Do you happen to have a blog or anything to read about what you're doing post vectorstar?
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-21 02:01:24
by monkey
I just wanted to let you know how much I applicate all your hard work keeping everything run. I meant a lot to all of us. Thank You.
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-21 09:18:31
by lhh
Sigh... All the best for your future endeavours.
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-23 00:40:02
by lmbedore
Thanks everyone. It's been great hearing that VectorStar's helped so many of you. Running it has been quite an experience for me, and I'm so very glad that I did (and that Alaster talked me into opening it to the public 9 years ago). Lots of stories to tell! And the times, they are a'changing...

I plan on keeping vectorstar.com, for my own use at least. It'll be changing once I feel like working on it, and I plan on publishing a lot of the stuff for building VectorStar Networks (or similar services), like my half-assed PHP code that runs most of the site, the Perl backend scripts that make things work, the custom compiling scripts for our advanced implementations of qmail and apache... I'll also move my personal site there, as well as probably save an archive of the ole VectorStar Messageboard, as there are some old laughs in there I certainly want to keep!

You can catch me on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/thelairdforever), though I do try to limit my 'friends' on there to people I actually know :)
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-28 09:40:06
by nuzod
Well shit. I haven't been too active lately, but I still remember the good ol' days of telnet via dial-up so I could use Vector as my host on IRC. I know where you're coming from with YouTube and the others, but thanks for keeping things a little more personal for us, Laird.
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-08-31 05:05:53
by cwdbas
Cheers, all. It's been lovely having a good, reliable site that doesn't try to rape me through fees or ad spamming. Best of luck to everyone.
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-09-05 03:07:49
by ykk
Thank you for your services all these years! All the best to you!
Re: VectorStar will be closing September 30 2007-09-07 04:40:45
by notzipo
I'am so sad
T_T

but you are my best hosting