Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-01 19:42:36
by marasmus
Hi everyone,

I'm making some major changes to VectorStar in the coming weeks. First, I'm migrating all of the servers into VMWare. Then I'll be rebuilding the web server to run OpenBSD. If that goes well, I'll probably do the same for the mail server. With systems in VMWare, I'll have a LOT more flexibility to test new ideas.

I'm writing some scripts to maintain replicas of the virtual machines, so if one physical machine dies, all of the servers and data will be backed up and can be restored quickly. Resiliency is good!

I'm in the process of buying a house. If the whole deal goes through, I'll be moving VectorStar to a new home in 3-4 weeks. With any luck I'll be able to keep the same IP addresses and we'll only see about 1-2 hours of downtime while moving the equipment.

-Laird

Re: Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-12 09:06:38
by darklighter
sounds great :) Also, think about getting mysql for us sometime along the way. Databases just go so well with php :)
Re: Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-13 14:23:14
by marasmus
Yeah, I've been wanting to do that for a while. A few years back I tried to set up Postgres for a hosted type environment but there wasn't any way to enforce usage quotas. I even wrote a program that would monitor and report usage, but the only thing I could come up with was to switch to read-only mode when the quota is exceeded. The problem with that is pretty obvious - if a user is above quota and their database is read-only, they can't remove anything from the database to get below the quota!

MySQL is much more popular for hosted applications so I imagine there's better support for usage restrictions/etc.

-Laird
Re: Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-15 13:38:25
by darklighter
Yes you can limit size of database. You can take away database creation permissions and only allow table creation.
Re: Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-20 17:31:08
by energy
Have you thought about adding shell-account to accounts ?
Re: Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-20 20:39:42
by marasmus
I've thought about shell services, and I've decided not to do it... buried on one of our info pages is this little blurb:

shell accounts just aren't as useful as they were a few years ago. Bandwidth is ubiquitous, disk capacity is ridiculous (60gb I-Pods?!), and our network connection is no faster than most of your home broadband connections. Anyone can take their old, slow computer and slap Linux on it these days to make their own shell server. Or create a Linux virtual machine using XenWorks or VMWare Server, which is FREE. We just don't see any benefit to offering public shells anymore.
Re: Major changes going on at VectorStar 2007-03-28 23:35:48
by darklighter
It would be nice to maybe allow more senior members an mysql database =) I have been wanting to update my site but all cms take a database and well its not really worth paying hosting for at this point =)

-Darky =D