Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

New user Referral system 2006-01-05 23:58:06
by lmbedore
Like we have talked about before, we've decided to go with a referral-based new user system. THE SYSTEM IS NOT YET WORKING, but it is getting fairly close. Keep an eye out!

The general idea: VectorStar users who have been with us for a year or more can refer new users to VectorStar. The user base grows through friends. Each person can refer up to 1 person per week.

When you refer someone, you are vouching that they are a decent-enough person not to do anything illegal, unscrupulous, or anything that will get us in trouble, shut down, etc. It puts the first line of authority in your hands to determine who can participate in this community. Refer good people, the community improves and grows. Refer bad people, the community goes downhill. And if the people you refer turn out to be complete scumbags, you'll lose your refer-ability, or in extreme cases your account.

I will continue to individually approve signups for the time being. I would like to eventually work out some way that I can truly leave that power entirely in your hands, but I think some more tools are needed first.

Re: New user Referral system 2006-01-06 11:53:33
by marasmus
Okay everyone, I think the referral system is now working. Go ahead and start using it if you like, and let me know of any bugs/problems that come up!
Re: New user Referral system 2006-01-07 22:25:58
by nuzod
Nice.