Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

System changes today 2005-02-06 00:19:01
by marasmus
Vector (the file server) has been giving us way too much grief, so it has been removed from the network for the time being. I'll be redoing it from scratch and hopefully we won't lose hard drives as quickly as we have been.

At the moment, new user signups and password changes are not working, until I can promote one of the other servers to the master password server. I hope to have this done within the hour.

Re: System changes today 2005-02-06 02:11:39
by marasmus
Okay, password changes and new user signups should be working again, among other things. Wow, this has been a real pain in the ass! Well I hope that angstful doesn't run out of RAM while it runs 90% of VectorStar :)
Re: System changes today 2005-02-06 13:07:39
by nuzod
Incidentally, what happened to MonkeyMail?
Re: System changes today 2005-02-06 22:57:06
by marasmus
Oh, I deleted it. It sucked. :)

Turns out that the last time I booted vector (to make the final copy of its data so i could shut it down) was the last time it was ever going to boot anyways. It won't come up to save its life now... talk about luck! Oh well, it'll get a good going over and i'll health check all the drives and all that. Maybe it's a good excuse to go with OpenBSD this time around!
Re: System changes today 2005-02-11 20:11:43
by darklighter
ya BSD sounds rather good from what others say about it, me not being anywhere near an expert. O and for hard drives...go through them that fast? get ones with a warranty :D lol