Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-03 10:54:24
by marasmus
We were down for close to 30 hours... thanks to more dying maxtor hard drives. The RAID arrays are still functioning (though degraded) but the drives are literally dying faster than I can RMA and replace them. The manufacture quality of IDE hard drives is absolutely pathetic. There's no excuse for 50% of our drives to die every year... especially since every hard drive has TWO dedicated fans, plus the cooling of the case! Incredible.

Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-03 15:07:01
by nuzod
That's pretty shitty, dude.

I'll probably give another $20 next payday. I don't see any new names on the donations list; what's up, newcomers? Not worth it?
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-03 16:17:03
by marasmus
well I got pissed off and bought 4 more hard drives to serve as spares. Two 120gb's for the main data store and two 40gb's for the server OSes. Now if I can just get Maxtor to fix the warranty dates on the 1-year drives they've sent me to replace my 3-year-warranty drives, i'll be happier. Still not happy, since their damn drives keep dropping like flies... can't win 'em all, I guess.
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-03 20:15:06
by bobshoe

You acknowledge their shitty drives yet you still buy them. You think the folks who were on the Titanic signed up for another trip? :-)
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-04 00:33:49
by marasmus
Well at this point we've got quite an investment in IDE RAID, and it just costs too much to go to SCSI RAID. If we had money, I definitely would've gone SCSI RAID in the first place!

In the meantime, I'm working on adding software watchdog support to our systems and doing replication of the main data store every 30 minutes. Then comes the task of doing automatic failover of the data store, as well as resynchronization and recovery if the main file server comes back up. I wrote a similar system back in the day for firewalling and non-BGP path failover. These days OpenBSD's CARP can do that for me, though.
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-04 00:56:57
by nuzod
Does all this talk help you get the ladies, Laird?
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-04 15:43:01
by marasmus
No. damnit.

:)
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-05 19:49:50
by marasmus
Yeah.. so we went down again for a few hours. While I'm waiting for the spare hard drives to come in for vector, its current arrays are barely surviving - looks like at least one more drive is near death, and keeps causing the RAID card to reset... of course the card doesn't like resetting when it has degraded arrays, so it locks up! FUN!!#!@$)(U!@#$ argh.
Re: Downtime Wednesday 2005-02-11 20:17:52
by darklighter
when all else fails, kick it. =) Every get mad and just beat ur servers around? come on tell the truth.