Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

The updated forums system is LIVE! 2005-01-17 00:11:27
by lmbedore
Yes, it's been talked about for ages. And now it's here. Today I got a bug up my ass and wrote the entire new forums system from scratch. I haven't tested it much, but who cares? That'd take the fun out of it!

On the Message Board, any VectorStar user can start a thread. Anyone can reply. On the News and MonkeyMail ones, only staff can create a thread and only VectorStar users can reply.

Once I write the administrative portion of the forums (editing/deleting messages, creating/configuring/removing forums), we'll add a few new forums. If you have any ideas for forums, shout 'em out! We'd like to hear them!
(This is also my first real test of the new system)

Re: The updated forums system is LIVE! 2005-01-17 00:39:33
by marasmus
Sweet. It looks like it's working well!
Unfortunately the "active threads" thing is inaccurate right now, until I finish the administrative system and redefine the database schema a bit.
Re: The updated forums system is LIVE! 2005-01-17 01:10:28
by nuzod
I'm totally digging it. You seriously wrote it from scratch? So it's 100% Laird Genius (tm), or did you look at any other forums for inspiration?

Now to think of some new forum ideas...
Re: The updated forums system is LIVE! 2005-01-17 07:46:23
by marasmus
There are a couple of aspects that I saw in other databases and liked... like displaying the parent message on the reply page, and having multiple pages for threads that have 20+ messages. Aside from that I just reformatted it around the relevant data in the database, removed what wasn't needed, and left it at that.
Re: The updated forums system is LIVE! 2005-01-17 10:30:32
by vahman
When you click reply, the mouse should re-focus to the reply box :). Everything looks great. I will play around with it and let you know if I see anything else.