Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

mail will be down for a few minutes 2003-09-11 20:00:18
by lmbedore
hi guys,
remember when i mentioned that chester lost a hard drive awhile back? well, frank will be reeplacing it tonight. mail will be down for a bit. he'll also be replacing a dead drive in vector, but that one should be replaceable without taking the server down. say it, frank's the man!

Re: mail will be down for a few minutes 2003-09-12 01:43:29
by stale
IDE hard drives have almost degraded to the point of being unusable in anything. Tonight, the first drive replacement in vector went flawlessly. A quick pop out, pop in, rebuild... done. The second drive, in chester, completely did not go as planned. Apparently Maxtor's new idea is to ship 1/8th height drives that arrive DoA even when purchased brand new. I have personally been responsible for replacing half a dozen of these specific models within the past 3-4 months. Needless to say, we only had a 50% success rate with drive swaps tonight, so chester is currently running off a crippled raid array. Hopefully we'll get these drives RMA'd early next week, and hopefully maxtor will perform a rectal/cranial inversion.
Re: mail will be down for a few minutes 2003-09-13 12:32:09
by Anonymous
Well...There might be a direct relationship between price and quality...
Re: mail will be down for a few minutes 2003-09-13 16:06:31
by stale
You know, I'd normally agree about the price/quality relationship, but there's a problem with that idea given our current situation. You see, we purchased IDE drives under the pretense that they'd, you know, work. I have actually had a problem with brand new IDE drives being shipped to me dead, and based on that price/quality ratio, those drives should've been free. Maybe we should all petition Maxtor to give out IDE drives for free... oh wait, that's what the RMA process is.