Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

Pretty big DNS problems 2003-02-19 23:18:34
by lmbedore
Since Saturday, we've been having intermittent, bizarre DNS problems. Today I finally tracked down the cause of the problems... A curious implementation by Sun Microsystems that causes all NICs in one of their PC's to use the same MAC address!

I tried two different fixes tonight, but neither worked.

For the meantime, I have set up one DNS server to service the world (you) while the other DNS server services us (vectorstar). This arrangement should at least be stable until we can get a working, permanent solution.

Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-02-20 01:04:27
by jamm
at least you cought the problem
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-02-20 14:47:01
by lmbedore
Ah hah! The problem goes deeper. The MAC address problem was just an aversion to trick me. :)

The MAC address thing is still a minor problem, but can be worked around fairly easily. The bigger problem is a feature called "proxy-arp" used on Cisco equipment. Our router was sending proxy-arp data to our switch, regarding our DNS servers... This would knock our DNS servers off the internet. This has got to be one of the most convoluted things I've ever tracked down. :)

In the short-term, I've hacked the switch into behaving nicely until we can get the router fixed so it doesn't do proxy-arp anymore. :)
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-02-20 19:17:43
by jamm
bravo!
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-02-21 12:09:08
by Anonymous
If you take the integral of the signal times the delta function, you get convolution as well...
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-02-28 00:48:18
by talesam
dfdsfdsfds
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-02 21:28:58
by Anonymous
How about you get sign ups working again because you're hands down the best hosting set up out there for free and it's a shame that we can't get to be a part of it. If you don't plan on doing it anytime soon, please redirect me to a host that is nearly as good.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-03 23:10:05
by lmbedore
Since I can't think of anything else to say to the last anonymous comment, and I find it SO annoying that it at least requires some sort of response, I shall respond...

Shut up. Please.

Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-04 09:20:00
by stale
Anonymous: Here is my recommendation. Obviously you need the friendly help that can be found at Keyword: SUPPORT... they get paid to give a damn about you.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-04 15:24:12
by ibor132
At least he was polite...not that I'm defending him or anything.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-04 18:42:57
by lmbedore
I don't mean to be rude for the sake of being rude, but rather to impress that I'm currently beyond worked to-the-bone with no reprieve in sight, and I just finished the 6-month ordeal of building our new servers with less outside help than I expected. I've heard a few thousand people (quite literally) ask when the new signup system will be done, and I'd love to tell them "soon", but I can't. There's a lot of work needed for the system behind-the-scenes, and although the framework is now *entirely* there (hardware, SQL, front-end interface, back-end scripts), the real bitch is in the tiny details.
For example, Making a simple webpage that allows a user to change their password requires (1) a front-end with enough guts behind it to authenticate the user with their system password, which is NOT easily-checkable from PHP or perl, (2) a well-designed, heavily-tested SQL tracking system to log and schedule the change (which has to happen on a different, specific server), (3) a hardened back-end script (which has to run with root privileges) to actually perform the password change safely and securely to the password file (cannot use 'passwd', as it has some seriously funkadelic remapping of the STDIN filehandle during runtime), rebuild the NIS database, and push out NIS changes to the other servers. Just to change one password. Let alone the additional checks and balances such as reporting back to the user that their password was successfully changed! So you should be able to expand your imagination to what has to go on in order to do something more complicated, like creating a virtual domain and webspace for a user!
*Slightly related side-note* I'm working heavily on user-configurable mail filtering, which will be tied into this same system. It is mostly done, with a few of us testing implementations of this mail filtering system. And I'm hoping to add optional bayesian filtering to it soon afterwards.

If you would prefer a pity-party version of my sob-story, it'll go like this:
I work 45 hours a week on a good week. I have been living with my parents for the last year to help them out, which has been driving me insane. I have been working so hard on VectorStar for the last 7-8 months straight that I haven't had the time to read a single book (I used to read about 2-3 a week) or meet a single person. I haven't had time to play guitar like I used to. I haven't had the time to overhaul my motorcycle like I want to. In fact, I haven't had a girlfriend for over a year simply because I have no time. I've hardly had time to do enough laundry to stay clothed! Vahman, Stale, Vanity and myself are moving into a house this Friday, and the only actual free time I've had in the last month has gone to help Stale work on his car.

Well, that should cover it.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-04 21:50:05
by stale
Laird, I fully appreciate you helping me with my car. Without your math science I doubt I'd even have the thing running right now. Just wait until we build that 383 in that shiny new garage...
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-05 13:27:20
by Eric D.
Fuck the internet. There's always time for a car.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-05 23:16:51
by stale
Not just any car... this car.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-06 21:30:45
by Eric D.
That's a damn nice car! You got an 8-track stereo in it? I heard that goes well in shows.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-03-09 01:00:47
by stale
Close... it's a JVC tape deck, so it might be like 6 months newer than an 8-track.
Re: Pretty big DNS problems 2003-04-14 04:46:45
by jacklin
no