Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-13 23:54:18
by lmbedore
Hey everyone. During our server migration on Saturday, February 15th, starting at 1pm EST (19:00 GMT) and ending about 5pm EST (23:00 GMT), VectorStar will obviously be unavailable.

For those of you who happen to be in front of a computer during our migration, you will be able to watch us perform the upgrades on a nice, wonderful webcam hosted by our friends at the Crackhoe Network. The link is http://www.crackhoe.com/vectorstar/. Since VectorStar will be down during this time, save this link now, so you can watch us break stuff on Saturday!

Okay... there are probably 100 or more minor changes to the way the network runs on the new servers, but two things in particular are significantly different and will affect many of you.
First off, ALL SMTP mail being sent through VectorStar must be sent using authentication (SMTP Auth). In your email client, go to your Mail Server Settings (wherever they happen to be for you). Find the section related to SMTP. You should have a checkbox that says something like "My server requires authentication" or "My server requires me to log in". Check this box and enter your username and password in the blanks provided. If you don't do this, you won't be able to send mail to anyone other than other VectorStar users!
Second, PHP has been built quite differently! We have finally managed to get PHP to run as the user who owns them (with little-to-no code changes!). PHP scripts will now require the same strict file security settings as CGIs, and your PHP data files will need to have their ownership reassigned to you and/or security settings tightened. I will try to find and fix all of these files during the migration process, but let me know if I miss one of yours. :)

Re: New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-14 09:34:06
by sirius crackhoe, the member
shit, I forgot the page redirects to another server which is behind the firewall... I will pop a hole in it shortly, so you can see the streaming video.
Re: New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-15 11:20:29
by ibor132
There any chance of an archive of this? Thats the ONE period of time today when I'm going to be out, and I'd be...well let's say fearfully curious to see the upgrades on video.
Re: New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-15 12:28:03
by stale
ibor132: Are you sure you're not just some obsessed internet stalked with a Marasmus fetish?
Re: New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-15 18:29:33
by jamm
the webcam was black then entire time, i was looking forward to seeing all the stuff change too
Re: New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-15 19:13:27
by sirius crackhoe, the member
User error... we had a bunch of people looking at the streaming video.
Re: New servers: Mail and PHP changes 2003-02-15 22:24:42
by ibor132
no comment
HELP ME,MY site IS ERROR,cann't run php 2003-02-18 23:07:12
by bbs2002
visit http://bbs2002.vectorstar.net/xmbbs/wdb/index.php display Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, bbs2002@vectorstar.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Apache/1.3.27 Server at bbs2002.vectorstar.net Port 80
PHP Gone? 2003-03-19 20:58:28
by flin
Is PHP support gone? I've been getting the same error as the previous post.