Forums Archive -> VectorStar News

Possible directory and data corruption 2002-05-07 12:31:30
by lmbedore
I noticed that some users' home directories appear to be missing. At this point, I'm guessing that this has been caused by some sort of filesystem corruption. Definitely not good news. I'd estimate that there are about a dozen users who are missing home directories at this time.

If you notice your files missing, please attach a comment here. We don't have any old backups to restore from, but we can at least rebuild your home directory so you can continue using your account here.

Re: Possible directory and data corrupti 2002-05-23 12:26:49
by lmbedore
A total of 31 users (that I know of) lost their home directories in the corruption. These were:
caridwen
bambi
ahkitj
alaster
maroch
masq
alecss
rob
andris
angeltek
ruley
runner
dharna28
venexia
dlaufer
napie
aztek
jloreth
w4rlock
nercosex
jwalker
dzokomk
bmf
bob
bobshoe
ocara
khayri
briand
gaultier
lobo
luis84
I know the list isn't in alphabetical order. I'm not sure exactly what order it is in (chronological, perhaps)... Anyways, the aforementioned users' home directories have been re-created, but all information (including email) has been lost.

We're in the middle of a decision-making process of what hardware, software and filesystem will be used for our new file server coming up. This should eradicate the problems we've seen with file corruption and data loss.
Re: Possible directory and data corruption 2002-06-09 12:21:19
by Anonymous
Please stand by while I now brute force my way into your systems with the provided login names... You shouldn't have given out the login names ;) Maybe a personal email to each of the users telling them the problem would have been better.
Re: Possible directory and data corrupti 2002-06-09 14:56:11
by lmbedore
Getting lists of users on the system is trivial. I didn't make it any easier for some idiot to try to brute force their way onto the servers :) Anyone stupid enough to think that brute force is going to be useful couldn't do anything with that list of names anyways!