Forums Archive -> Message Board

How does your CPU handle the HEAT? 2001-09-23 00:11:21
by smokey
I know most of you love your Athlon's, but you might just want to check this out. 

Tom's Hardware Guide CPU Guide: Hot Spot - How Modern Processors Cope With Heat Emergencies - Introduction

This is the Test Lab Video page.  It has a little extra info.

Or you can  just watch the video.  It speaks for itself.
Download THG-Test-Video, 352 x 288, 02:20 Minutes (9 MB) Server I
Download THG-Test-Video, 352 x 288, 02:20 Minutes (9 MB) Server II

Re: How does your CPU handle the HEAT? 2001-09-27 08:58:45
by josh
Yeah, I gotta agree... when I first "upgraded" to my current 1.4Ghz AMD I was impressed until ASUS' Hardware Monitor constantly popped up with that stupid PCProbe window! The CPU was and still is running way hot. Next time around, it's all Intel!!!
Re: How does your CPU handle the HEAT? 2001-09-27 11:51:18
by marasmus
Welp, the AMD's run very hot, but there's good reason to that... they're good chips. Damn good chips. The modularity of some of their CPU architecture leaves basically no choice except for burning off some extra heat.

For hot AMD users, I'd recommend 2 good case fans (one blowing in, one blowing out) and the most highly-recommended orb-like cooler you can get. That should lower your CPU by some 30 degrees or so. Check your CPU grease every month or two, and all is good in the land of EZ-Bake AMD. :)
Re: How does your CPU handle the HEAT? 2001-09-27 18:22:35
by josh
:p thats far too much work! I already have the 2 case fans (one blowing in, one blowing out) and the CPU still runs near threshold. Oh, and it usually crashes during graphic intense games. My Celeron 300A ran all these games happily without setting itself on fire. I miss my Celeron, it was a happy happy chip! It wasn't the fastest, best looking or most popular but it did its job well! However, he just didn't have the bounce in his step anymore, and seeing all those 1Ghz processors run by him didn't do much for his self esteem. So I sent him off to retirement. He is now at my sisters house doing simple word processing and $9.99 Disney games from Wal-Mart. I'm pretty sure he is happy, and even though he lost his contact to the outside world (his internet connection), he now simply enjoys spending time with himself. I miss him!
Re: How does your CPU handle the HEAT? 2001-09-28 16:33:23
by stale
That's true. My old helleron processor is STILL clocked at 550mhz and running in my father's computer. That thing just won't give up. It's just too bad it ate complete ass for playing games.

I'm completely happy with my AMD T-Bird though. 1.2ghz and hot as hell, but it never crashes on me. I run games for hours and it's lovely. There's just something about a processor that would give its life for your gaming pleasure.