Forums Archive -> Message Board

screamin babies.... screamin babies..... 2000-09-06 15:39:00
by obrien
Wow it's been a long time. I bet you thought you got rid of me... Anyhow, I'm here to brag because something cool is happening in my pathetic little life...

I can (almost) whistle!

I can sorta make the whistley sound, but I can't really control the pitch. Either way, I'm very happy cause I've spent my whole got damn life trying to whistle and it suddenly just happens accidentally.... grrr...

But I heard (or rather read) something yesterday that was REALLY fucking disturbing.... There's this really good, old oi! band from England called Sham 69... They're on my anwswering machine at the moment. And yesterday I found a link to the official Sham site, so I thought I'd check it out... I went to the news first, and the news (dated yesterday) said they were having "political problems" in the band due to the use of one of their songs in a McDonalds commercial. Now I could deal with the Buzzcocks "What do I get?" in that Toyota Rav-4 commercial, but what Sham song do they use? "If the kids are united" which I'm listening to right now. It is THE "anthem" for all kids- punk, skin, maybe even rude now that Rancid's done it. It's just another call for unity like every other punk band on the planet's done, "if the kids are united, they will never be divided... if we all stand together it will just be the start," but the fact that they're using it in a MCDONALDS commercial is what bothers me.. What do those suburbanites have to unite against? Nazis? no. Police brutality? no. Poverty? Hunger? no. I'm pretty damn sure that they're not gonna hear that song and go make a big pot of split pea soup and turn their front porch into a soup kitchen like Scooby and Regina and Sid used to do...

I hate people, but especially you.

Now I'm going to have to listen to 7 seconds doing "99 red balloons" to cheer myself up.