Forums Archive -> Message Board

In case you haven't noticed... 2004-12-31 20:39:22
by marasmus
There have been a number of very subtle changes to our website... The most important of which is that little "Log In" link in the top-right corner. If you don't see it, refresh our main page, clear your browser cache, kick your proxy in the butt, etc. until it shows up! That link is your gateway to managing your account. By Friday night, every VectorStar user should be able to sign into the system.

Yes, our administration system is finally seeing prime time. It's only been talked about for what, 3 years now? New user signups aren't quite ready yet, but they will be shortly. Putting the rest of the system out for public use is my way of forcing myself to get it finished ASAP. :)

Also coming down the pipe will be an improved Forums system that will handle our News and Message Board. All VectorStar users will be able to post threads and anyone will be able to comment on a thread. We might even set up a few more forums if you all find them useful.

Well, I've got a plane to catch, so take care and have fun!

Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2004-12-31 20:46:28
by marasmus
Yeah. Everybody's account should be able to log in now. In fact, it's been working for a couple of hours now.

It'll also excite a lot of people to know that the front-end for user signups has been completed. It could use a tiny bit more bug checking, but that should be pretty easy. The hardest part is going to be the backend script for creating the new accounts. Then I need to write a script for deleting accounts, too. Mmmmm.
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-03 00:21:16
by marasmus
The approval system has also been completed. Now I just need to write the back-end grunt work that actually creates the account and it'll be ready to go live!

I've also ordered a few more parts so we can replace chester and angstful. Angstful will go from a single 733 to a dual 800, and Chester will go from a slightly-flaky Athlon 1600+ to a PIII Tualatin 1.2. Both will be 1U, with improved RAID, hot-swap drives, ServerWorks LE-T chipsets, the whole deal.
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-04 11:13:23
by scrantoine
Sounds good man keep up the great work.
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-04 22:43:47
by nuzod
Freakin' sweet job.
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-04 22:48:29
by marasmus
Well, the new user signup system works. I'm not enabling it yet because I have 3 small functions to improve for better pattern matching. I've lightly tested the account creation and I'm pretty sure there are no bugs, but only time will tell. Chances are very good that we will be accepting new user signups again starting tomorrow night. It only took a week from when the administration system got rolled out to get new users ready to roll again!

We also have a secret new service that I'm not telling you all about yet because it's still under testing. We'll probably roll it out once we upgrade the web server. Let's just say we have a number of aces up our sleeves right now. :)
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-05 15:27:31
by marasmus
New user signups are live! I guess it's time to find out how well my system works :) We already have two signups.
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-07 10:33:18
by vahman
Very nice Laird. Everything looks great!
Re: In case you haven't noticed... 2005-01-11 00:16:53
by caridwen
Fucking badass, yo.