Forums Archive -> Message Board

Quenching Apple-Intel Rumors 2002-08-09 16:20:32
by marasmus
There has been a lot of speculation about Apple switching to Intel CPU architecture in the near future. Of course, anyone who seriously thinks this is possible doesn't know enough about either PowerPC, x86, or Itanium chip architecture. If they did, they'd know it's a completely ridiculous idea.

The reason that Apple's selling off their inventory of G4 CPUs is because of the G5 chip, which should be available in the not-very-distant future. Add to that the recent PowerPC news from IBM, and you'll see that IBM is probably licensing Motorola's Altivec instruction set (the vector stuff mentioned in the article) and entering the power-user workstation market. If IBM does go into the workstation market with PowerPC, expect to see Linux running on it. It doesn't make much sense for them to push A/IX on desktop machines, since it's far less desktop-friendly than Linux.

Consider the news... a new chip by Motorola (Apple's only processor vendor for 20 years) and some PowerPC desktop competition from IBM, based on the same instruction set, and there's absolutely no way Apple would even think about moving to an Intel architecture. Why leave a perfectly stable 6-year-old 64-bit platform to jump on an inferior and unstable Intel 64-bit platform? Lots of problems, major code changes, and loss of consumer confidence? No sane company would ever make such a stupid decision.

Re: Quenching Apple-Intel Rumors 2002-08-09 19:36:23
by Chris
Yeah, for real.
Re: Quenching Apple-Intel Rumors 2002-08-11 13:49:34
by Anonymous
I like red wires, but the green ones are my favorite.
Re: Quenching Apple-Intel Rumors 2002-09-06 15:53:38
by Bubba
Can I have your home phone number?