Forums Archive -> Message Board

#include <stdtact.h> 2000-05-12 04:33:00
by marasmus
just pointless, but still...
here goes my little piece of thought, mostly stolen and, in the most unappreciated manner, not referenced with the original thinkers:

people involved in the open source community, regardless of being an end user or a major developer, often get caught up in the crusade to 'having free information accessible.' In and of itself, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this crusade. The only real gripe I have with it is that a major factor is often left off of that statement: free information is intended for constructive use. I'm absolutely sure that the majority of open source users would consider it wrong, or at least questionable, to openly hand all the source needed to wreak script kiddie havoc into the hands of every 13 year old "i heard of the trenchcoat mafia on TV mommy" little tactless twit who spent the last 10 years raised on a cathode-ray tube emitting brain-damaging radiation at 55 to 60 cycles per second. It's bad enough that medical research has proven that electrical interference, especially light, traveling at this frequency, dramatically increases brain activity associated with epilepsy... we have to force feed it down childrens' throat as a status symbol of being well-off. Get cable and triple your daily TV input. Get satellite TV and kick it up some more. Please, do anything possible not to raise YOUR flesh and blood yourself (disclaimer: this does not have to do with parents who place their children up for adoption because they at least have the sense to see their own inabilities in child-rearing and allow the opportunity to occur for others)...

WHEW... enough of a tangent - back to the open source angst argument...
Most open source users would disagree with the tactic of making potentially very-damaging software readily available in the hands of every script kiddie around the globe. This action is considered wrong, and even an act against the free software movement they promote. If i'm not mistaken, it's their movement that promoted the accessibility of such information in the first place. Now, even these so-called responsible open source community members are trying their damndest to dispel any hint of responsibility from their shoulders. Don't get me wrong - I would agree that they've done nothing WRONG, but they are trying to wipe the slate clean and say they've done NOTHING at all, which is grossly incorrect. I've really grown sick of mucking around in this whole net scene for years upon years, since shit was 'old school' to the 'old school'ers, and still remember that then, and now, i'm just a 13 year old twit to the true 'old school'ers of my starting time. At least I'm more than willing to show my respect and hold my responsibility for what i've proliferated when those seniors look over my shoulder. I really hope that a few years down the road the newbies, who have subsequently build their own revision 252.638pre4 of 'old school' will at least have the common decency as self-aware beings to hold some level of responsibility for their actions and remarks. I'm an asshole, but at least I admit to being an asshole. that's what separates me (the asshole) from the more common ignorant asshole.

as quoted (i'm sure very inaccurately as this is from memory) from a list of one-liners on attrition.org's F.U.C.K. e-zine mirror...
there is a cure for ignorance, but there is no cure for stupidity.

consider this facet of existence much like writing HTML: when you open your HTML tag, don't forget to close it when you're finished. failure to comply will render you an apt programmer for Micro$oft, working hard on the next release of FrontPage. Come on - a little common sense (yes i know, it's uncommon) goes much further than any education.

(I think i'll save this as an essay/rant now)